Stronger Online Author Brand Requires Consistent Flow of Authentic Communication with Your Audience
Today, an author’s online presence greatly affects their ultimate success in book sales and audience growth. More and more readers seek information about their favorite writers through websites and digital media. For this reason, an independent author needs to take charge of how their published persona is presented through social media.
Establish Your Online Brand Early
Many authors are not aware of the best practices for handling their online brand presence. By making a few key decisions early in your writing career, you greatly improve your chances for successfully marketing your work. Focus on establishing your brand (which is you and your books) and determine how best to position yourself in the marketplace through social media.
How to Improve Your Brand Online Presence
- Identify your author name early and stick to it. Avoid constantly changing the name you use or the way you spell it. Keep the same name when you open an account, give an interview, or write a blog for an external site. All bio information should link back to your website.
- Use the name you publish under for your website domain name. If you can’t, one option is to add “author” or “book” after your author name. Make sure your author name is prominently displayed on your main page.
- Be consistent. All your social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Instagram, etc.) should be under your author name and linked back to your main webpage. To avoid confusion, delete all accounts that were previously established under other names.
- Keep your posts on topic. Your webpage and social media should focus on what you are doing to promote your book (book signings, special events) or the new books you are working on.
- Build a community. Use your online presence to get to know your readers. Interact with them through forum discussions.
- Be authentic. Put your best self forward, and your readers will respond.
- Know your limits. You don’t have to do everything. It’s better to excel in one online outlet/community than to be haphazard or barely present in several.
Sharpen Your Online Presence to Build a Stronger Brand
Building brand recognition for you and your books is paramount to your success as an author. Staying consistent in your use of social media while projecting a positive, engaging persona will help bring more would-be readers into your online community. Mastering the art of online marketing through your website and social media is a skill that can be honed if you pay attention to the basic strategies we have discussed.
Hopefully, we have given you food for thought and helped you discover ways to improve your online presence. Feel free to share our blog with others.