Indie Authors Need to Invest in Their Brand
Being responsible for all the expenses involved in publishing a book is an intimidating prospect for most indie authors, often causing them to cut corners. An indie author’s expenses do not stop with the publication of their book. To successfully establish and promote their brand, an author must spend money to make money.
Don’t Skimp on Editing, Proofing or Design
When becoming a self-published writer, establish a budget early. Research the cost of each part of the publishing process and understand what your expenses will be. The goal is to make sure your published work is in the most polished, professional state possible. To do this you cannot skimp on editing, proofing or the interior/exterior book design. It should be the best it can be when finished.
Get Out and Market Your Book
Your job as an indie author does not stop with the printing of your manuscript. Having created a product, it’s now time to promote and sell it. As part of your overall budget, clearly define how much money you want to put toward a marketing plan and what that plan entails. Be realistic about how much time you can devote to the endeavor.
Suggestions on Where to Focus Your Marketing Dollars
- Hire a publicist – Do this four to six months before your publication date.
- Identify your audience – Target your readers by focusing on websites, publications and conventions they attend.
- Get a new website or revamp your old one – Create interesting, informative, up-to-date content and visuals to engage your readers.
- Invest in a book trailer or video – Include it on your webpage or a social media page like Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+ and others.
- Hire a social media expert – They can prioritize your online presence.
- Create a promo kit – This will include graphics, book synopsis, and your author bio that can be sent out to reviewers and bloggers who request materials.
- Make ordering your book easy – All your online efforts should link back to where the book can be purchased. If you are selling on your website, have a secure payment option like PayPal or Amazon.
- Attend live networking events – Meet your audience by going to conferences and expos. Build a relationship with your readers by discussing your work and upcoming projects. Include travel expenses in your budget to do this.
Invest in Your Brand
Think of the money you are spending on self-publishing and promoting your book as an investment in your author brand. All your efforts should go toward growing your platform, especially when you are first starting out. Participating in the active marketing of your book shows readers that you are a committed author, rather than a hobbyist. The money you spend today is an investment in your future and your brand. Spend wisely, don’t let anxiety over expenses cause you to settle for a lesser quality product.
Why Dog Ear?
Are you unsure of how to effectively market your book once it is published? With over fifty years of traditional publishing experience, Dog Ear Publishing understands how to successfully promote your work to the right outlets. The friendly, knowledgeable staff at Dog Ear Publishing will guide you throughout the publishing process and help you achieve superior results. If your goal is to produce a professional-quality designed book and achieve the greatest marketing opportunities possible for it, visit our website at www.dogearpublishing.net today and take control of your publishing destiny.